Turweston

"Turweston parish lies at the extreme north-western verge of the county, and of the hundred of Buckingham; separated on the west from Brackley, in Northamptonshire, by the river Ouse. Area, 1240 acres; rateable value, £1599; population, 335 souls. The Buckinghamshire Railway passes through a corner of the parish. The soil is principally clay, with a limestone bottom. The Village is small, and situated one mile E. from Brackley. On the village green are five large and remarkably fine elms of uniform appearance." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]

topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

War Memorials

War memorials in Turweston have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 44 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Turweston.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 211 inhabitants in 39 families living in 39 houses recorded in Turweston.

Census Year Population of Turweston
1801* 211
1811* 252
1821* 314
1831* 371
1841 361
1851 322
1861 335
1871 362
1881 305
1891 269
1901 257

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Turweston area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, Turweston have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1695 - 1995
Marriages 1695 - 1996
Burials 1695 - 1995

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1695 - 1874
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1695 - 1850
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1695 - 1956
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Turweston showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Turweston, St Mary 90 - Morning General Congregation
50 - Morning Sunday Scholars

122 - Afternoon

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Turweston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Turweston to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Turweston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Turweston was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

TURWESTON, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies on the borders of Northamptonshire, near Brackley, about six miles and a half from Buckingham. Before the reign of Edward the first, the manor belonged successively to the families of Fulgeres, Stovill, and Baynell. Having escheated to the crown, it was given by king Edward I to the monks of Westminster, and after the reformation formed a part of the endowment of the dean and chapter. The manor house was rented many years ago by Lord Viscount Hillsborough, which occasioned the author of an Irish peerage, published in 1722, to insert it as one of the seats of that family: it is at present unoccupied. The lease of the manor is now vested in the representatives of the late Mr. Derbishire, before it came into his possession, it had been for some time in the family of Welchman. The dean and chapter of Westminster are patrons of the rectory.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name of Turweston derives from an Old Scandenavian persons name and the Old English word of tun, and would mean 'Thurulf's farm'.