"TYRINGHAM and Filgrave were two separate parishes, but were united in order to make one good benefice. The place lies on the banks of the Ouse, and contains 1736 acres, and about 180 inhabitants. Before the two parishes were united, Lysons' state that Tyringham possessed only two houses. The soil is very rich and productive. Rateable value, £2757. The Village of Tyringham is small, and situated 2 miles N.N.W. from Newport Pagnell... 
...FILGRAVE. - This hamlet contains the Rectory, two farm houses, and several neat cottages. The farm residences are ancient, and in the occupation of Messrs. Thomas S. Fountain and William Law. Brick and tile works of an extensive scale have been established here nearly three years. Filgrave is distant about three miles N.N.W. from Newport Pagnell." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]



The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", Peter Quick.



  • War memorials in Tyringham have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.


In 1642 there were 35 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £11.6.4 of which sum Mr John Tyringham and The Lady Francis Tyringham each contributed £5.0.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 60 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Tyringham.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 236 inhabitants in 32 families living in 24 houses recorded in Tyringham.

Census YearPopulation of Tyringham

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.


Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Peter, Tyringham have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

EventDates covered
Christenings1630 - 1813
Marriages1633 - 1950
Burials1631 - 1813

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Society Library*
Dates covered
1576 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Tyringham showed the following numbers:

Tyringham, St Peter No attendance figures given

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Tyringham which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Tyringham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Tyringham was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

TYRINGHAM, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about two miles from Newport-Pagnell, near the road to Northampton. The manor belonged to the ancient family who took their name from the village, as early as the year 1170. They continued to flourish at this place, which was their principal seat, and occasionally filled the most distinguished offices in the county, till the year 1685, when the elder branch became extinct in the male line, by the death of Sir William Tyringham, whose daughter and heir brought this estate in marriage to John Backwell esq. It is now by descent from the Backwells, the property of William Praed esq. who has pulled down the old manor-house, and built in its stead an elegant modern mansion. In the parish church are some memorials of the family of Tyringham. Mr. Praed is patron of the rectory, which was united to Filgrave in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; the advowson was formerly in the priory of Tickford, by gift from the Tyringhams. Tyringham and Filgrave are now considered as one parish; Tyringham, when separate, consisted only of two houses, the united parish has now 24: the church of Filgrave is in ruins. The manor of Filgrave was anciently in the families of Paganell and Somery; it afterwards came to the Tyringhams, and has since been annexed to the manor of Tyringham.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP857470 (Lat/Lon: 52.114691, -0.749875), Tyringham which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

  • Tyringham - the name derives from old english, being a persons name + inga + ham or hamm, and means 'homestead or river meadow of Tir's people'.
  • Filgrave - the name derives from old english, being a persons name + græf, and means 'pit or grove of a man called Fygla'.