UPTON, in the hundred of Stoke and deanery of Burnham, lies about three miles and a half to the north-west of Colnbrook, near Slough, which is a hamlet of this parish. The manor of Upton cum Chalvey, which had belonged to Merton Abbey, was on lease to the Barkers, in the reign of James I; it is now the property of George Edwards esq. of Henlow, in Bedfordshire, whose family possessed it as early as the year 1725; it was before in the Lanes.
Upton Court, a manor farm, now the property of William Lascelles esq. a bencher of the Inner-Temple, was many years in the family of Lane, of whom it was purchased by the grandfather of the present proprietor.
In the parish church, which is an ancient Saxon structure, are memorials for Edward Bulstrode, Squire of the body to King Henry VII. and King Henry VIII. and others of that ancient family, who were of Bulstrode in this parish: in the church-yard are memorials of the Lanes.
The rectory of Upton, which was given to Merton Abbey, by Paganus de Beauchamp, became the property of Eton College, by an exchange many years before the reformation: the vicarage is in the gift of the crown.
Bulstrode, the seat of the ancient family of that name, became afterwards the property and residence of that detested character, Lord Chancellor Jeffries, who being then Sir George Jefferies knt. and chief justice of Chester, and described as of Bulstrode, in the county of Buckingham, was made a baronet in the year 1681. It has been erroneously supposed that Bulstrode was forfeited by his attainder at the revolution, and given to the Earl of Portland; the fact is, that it was purchased by that Nobleman, of Mr. Dyve, son-in-law of the chancellor, about the latter end of King William's reign: the earl, who had the chief superintendance of the expedition, which placed that monarch on the throne of these realms, was sometimes visited by his royal master at Bulstrode. After the king's death he retired wholly to this place, where he took great delight in improving his gardens, and where he died in 1709: his son, who was created Duke of Portland in 1716, was grandfather to the present noble owner of Bulstrode.
Bulstrode house was built in 1686, by Lord Chancellor Jefferies; the offices are the remains of an older mansion, which it is probable was built by the Bulstrodes. At Bulstrode house is a small collection of pictures, by the old masters, among which the most remarkable are a holy family by Raphael, St. Cecilia by Carlo Dolce, and Orpheus charming the brutes by Roland Savery. Among the portraits are the first Earl of Portland, and others of this noble family; and Henry Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton, with the cat that accompanied him in the tower. The park, which contains about eight hundred acres, exhibits a pleasing variety of surface, and is well wooded.
The manor of Bulstrode belonged formerly to the abbess and convent of Burnham; in 1337, they had the king's licence to alienate it to William Montacute, earl of Salisbury, who the same year gave it to the monks of Bisham. This manor was purchased of Sir William Bowyer, by Sir Roger Hill, and by him sold in 1686, to Lord Chancellor Jefferies; it has since passed with Bulstrode-house, and is now the property of the Duke of Portland.
Slough, a well-known thoroughfare on the Bath road, is, as before-mentioned a hamlet of Upton. It has for several years been the residence of the celebrated astronomer Dr. Herschel. The forty feet telescope of his own construction, with which he has made most of those discoveries which will immortalize his name, stands in his garden at this place.
Chalvey is another hamlet in this parish.