The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Volume 1", Peter Quick.
- War memorials in Weston Underwood have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Volume 1", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.
In 1642 there were 22 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.17.2 of which sum Mr Throckmorton contributed £2.0.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 84 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Weston Underwood.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 357 inhabitants in 97 families living in 70 houses recorded in Weston Underwood.
|Census Year||Population of Weston Underwood|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
The original copies of the parish registers for St Laurence, Weston Underwood have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Weston Underwood showed the following numbers:
|Weston Underwood, |
|77 - Evening General Congregation |
37 - Evening Sunday Scholars
114 - Evening Total
|Weston Underwood, |
St Lawrence Roman Catholic
|105 - Morning General Congregation |
30 - Morning Sunday Scholars
101 - Afternoon General Congregation
|Weston Underwood, |
|No service on 30 March 1851 |
30 - Evening
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Weston Underwood to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Weston Underwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Weston Underwood was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
WESTON-UNDERWOOD, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about two miles west of Olney. The manor was anciently in the family of Boson, or Bosun, from whom it passed by female heirs to the Olneys and Throckmortons. It is now the property and seat of George, a younger brother of Sir John Throckmorton bart., who has taken the name of Courtenay.
In the parish church, which was formerly a chapel of ease to Olney, are a few memorials of the Throckmortons. Mr. Courtenay is improprietor of the great tithes, and patron of the curacy.
Cowper the poet resided for several years, during the latter part of his life, at this village, in a house now inhabitated by a shopkeeper. Most of his descriptions of rural scenery were drawn from nature in his walks round this place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP865505 (Lat/Lon: 52.146025, -0.737306), Weston Underwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)