(including the hamlet of Shipton)


"The parish of Winslow is bounded, on the North, by Addington, and by Great and Little Horwood; on the East, by Swanbourne; on the South, by Grandborough; and on the West, by East Claydon, Middle Claydon, and Addington. It contains more than two thousand acres; estimated, in St. John Priest's Survey, at 2478 acres; of which 1459 were returned to be in pasture, 719 meadow, and 300 arable; the whole being divided into about twelve farms, varying from 20 to 300 acres each. The soil, in the southern part of the parish, is a clayey loam; in the more northern part, sandy, with veins of gravel and lime-stone. It has been erroneously asserted, that chalk is found in this parish, but a whitish marl has probably been mistaken for it. The south side of the parish is partly bounded by a brook, which runs from the north-east; and, being joined by the smaller streams, bends its course between Winslow and Grandborough, running towards the west, and there becomes the boundary of the Claydons; and ultimately joins the Ouse." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]



The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.



War Memorials

War memorials in Winslow have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.



In 1642 there were 60 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.15.0 of which sum Robert Mainwaring contributed £0.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 242 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Winslow.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 1101 inhabitants in 225 families living in 219 houses recorded in Winslow.

Census YearPopulation of Winslow

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Church History

For more details on the vicars and history of the church see:

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):


Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Laurence, Winslow have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

EventDates covered
Christenings1560 - 1966
Marriages1560 - 1994
Burials1560 - 1930

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Society Library*
Dates covered
1560 - 1715
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
1560 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
1560 - 1715
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Winslow showed the following numbers:

St Laurence
300 - Morning General Congregation
200 - Morning Sunday Scholars
500 - Morning Total

236 - Afternoon General Congregation
200 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
436 - Afternoon Total

296 - General Congregation
296 - Total

Particular or Strict
Communion Baptists
24 - Morning General Congregation

10 - Afternoon General Congregation

28 - Evening General Congregation

Independent or
Congregational Chapel
141 - Morning General Congregation
52 - Morning Sunday Scholars
193 - Morning Total

50 - Afternoon General Congregation
48 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
98 - Afternoon Total

186 - Evening General Congregation
186 - Evening Total

You can see pictures of Winslow which are provided by:



The Winslow History web site has Hillier’s Almanack of 1939 listing all householders, plus various other directories.




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Winslow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Winslow was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

WINSLOW, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, is a market town about fifty miles from London, on the road to Buckingham. The market, which is on Thursdays, is very inconsiderable. It was granted, in 1235, to the abbott and convent of St. Albans, to whom the manor had been given by King Offa: the grant includes the right of holding a fair at the festival of St. Lawrence. There are now five annual fairs, March 20; Holy Thursday; August 21; September 22; and the Thursday before October 11. In 1599, the manor of Winslow was granted to Sir John Fortescue, who in 1619 sold it to Sir George Villiers, afterwards Duke of Buckingham: it was purchased in 1697, under an act of parliament, of the representatives of the second duke, by William Lowndes esq. secretary of the treasury, and is now the property of his great-grandson, William Selby esq. who took that name on succeeding to the estates bequeathed to him by the late ----- Selby esq. Mr. Selby has a seat at Winslow, which was built by Secretary Lowndes in the year 1700.

In the parish church, which is a spacious Gothic structure, contains no monuments worthy of notice. The great tithes, which were appropriated to the abbey of St. Albans, are the property of Mr. Selby: the vicarage, which is in the diocese of London, and in the peculiar jurisdiction of the archdeacon of St. Albans, is in the gift of the crown.

Mr. Joseph Rogers, in 1722, bequeathed a sum of money towards founding a charity school at this place.

The manor of Shipton, a hamlet of this parish, has passed with Winslow. Certain fields within the hamlet of Shipton, were inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1743; and the whole parish by an act passed in 1766, when allotments of land were assigned to the impropriator and vicar, and a small allotment for the poor.

The Winslow History web site also has various descriptions starting from 1724



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP770276 (Lat/Lon: 51.941584, -0.881259), Winslow which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

The name of Winslow derives from old english, being a persons name + hlaw, and means 'hill or mound of a man called Wine'.


Probate Records

Transcriptions (and translations from Latin ) of about 300 wills from 1427-1847 are available on the Winslow History web site.