(including Bourne End and Wooburn Green)
"This is a large parish, bounded on the south by the river Thames. Its area is 2850 acres, and the number of its inhabitants is 2245. Rateable value, £7857. In old records the name of the place is spelt variously Waburne, Uburn, Ugburn, and Woburn. Langley says that the name describes the situation of the parish, a deep, narrow, and winding valley, with a rivulet running through it, and the sides covered with trees and bushes. It has also been suggested that the place derived its appellation from Wyeburn, the bourne, or streamlet of the Wye which runs through it. The parish is about four miles long, two broad, and fourteen in circumference. The commons were inclosed in 1802. There are 117 acres of woodland in the parish. Woburn Village is considerable, and stands 3 miles W.S.W. from Beaconsfield, and 5 miles E. from High Wycombe. It is locally designated the Town to distinguish it from a somewhat larger village about half a mile distant, called Wooburn Green. The Wycombe Branch of the Great Western Railway (from Maidenhead) passes through Wooburn parish, and has two Stations here, only 1 1/2 miles apart. One of these is at Wooburn Green, and the other at Bourne End, called the Marlow Road Station. A weekly Market at Wooburn, which was held on Friday, and a Fair on the festival of the translation of St. Edward, were granted by King Henry VI.; but they have been long disused. Fairs for cattle are held on the Green every 4th of May and 12th of November; the first-mentioned fair was granted to the Lovell family, the others to Lord Wharton, in 1686." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Marlow and area, Volume 12", Peter Quick.
War memorials in Wooburn Green have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Marlow and area, Volume 12", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 334 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Wooburn.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 1401 inhabitants in 338 families living in 293 houses recorded in Wooburn.
|Census Year||Population of Wooburn|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
The original copies of the parish registers for St Paul, Wooburn have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1653 - 1987|
|Marriages||1653 - 1976|
|Banns||1754 - 1989|
|Burials||1653 - 1964|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1600 - 1888
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
1600 - 1848
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
1600 - 1848
|Buckinghamshire Family History Society|
1600 - 1897
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Wooburn showed the following numbers:
|300 - Morning General Congregation|
110 - Morning Sunday Scholars
410 - Morning Total
400 - Evening General Congregation
Wooburn Green Baptist
|35 - Morning General Congregation|
20 - Afternoon General Congregation
50 - Evening General Congregation
Independent Bethel Chapel
|127 - Morning General Congregation|
90 - Morning Sunday Scholars
217 - Morning Total
90 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
150 - Evening General Congregation
|No data is given for 30 March 1851|
100 - Morning General Congregation
|70 - Morning General Congregation|
56 - Morning Sunday Scholars
126 - Morning Total
80 - Afternoon General Congregation
100 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wooburn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wooburn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Wooburn was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
WOOBURN, in the hundred of Desborough and deanery of Wycombe, lies about four miles and a half east of Great-Marlow. There were anciently two manors in this parish. The manor of Bishop's-Wooburn had been from time immemorial in the see of Lincoln, till the year 1547, when Bishop-Holbeach gave it to the crown in exchange: it was granted, in 1549, to John Russel, Earl of Bedford. Francis, the second earl, sold it about the year 1580, to Sir John Goodwin, whose ancestors had resided at Wooburn above 100 years, as tenants to the Bishops of Lincoln. Sir Francis Goodwin, (son of Sir John,) was several times knight of the shire. The dispute concerning the legality of his election in 1604, proved the cause of establishing the great constitutional doctrine, that the house of commons have the sole right of judging and deciding on the validity of their own elections and returns. Sir Francis was a particular friend of the celebrated John Hampden, and zealously concurred with his measures at the commencement of the disputes between King Charles and his parliament. His son, Arthur Goodwin, left an only daughter, Jane, married to Philip Lord Wharton, who became possessed in her right of the manors of Over-Winchendon and Wooburn, at both which places he occasionally resided. Soon after the revolution he had the honour of a visit at Wooburn, from King William; his son, who was some years afterwards created Marquis of Wharton, having been the person who drew up the address which invited that monarch to take possession of the British throne. The Marquis of Wharton was succeeded, in 1715, by his son Philip, who was created Duke of Wharton, in 1718: after the death of this nobleman, whose extraordinary abilities and more extraordinary eccentricities have been so well described by Pope, the manor of Wooburn having been before mortgaged to the celebrated Col. Chartres, who resided some time at the manor-house, was sold in 1732 to John Morse esq. whose niece and heir brought it in marriage to the Berties. In 1784 it was purchased of Albemarle Bertie esq. by Mrs. Rebecca Duprï¿½, moth of James Duprï¿½ esq. of Wilton Park, who is the present proprietor.
The old manor-house was a palace of the Bishops of Lincoln. Bishop Smith, the founder of Brazen Nose- College, died at Wooburn in 1513, as did his successor, Bishop Atwater, in 1520. Bishop Longland, confessor to King Henry VIII. who was a native of Henley, frequently resided at Wooburn, where he died in 1547, a few months before it was alienated from the see by his successor. The palace was pulled down in 1750: Mr. Langley, in his history of the hundred of Desborough, informs us that the old gallery, which was 120 feet in length, was in the time of the Whartons, hung with the valuable portraits of that family, which were afterwards in Sir Robert Walpole's collection at Houghton. He speaks of a small room adjoining the chapel, called Little-ease, for the confinement of Heretics, in which the unfortunate Thomas Chase, of Amersham, was barbarously murdered in 1506, being then a prisoner there on a charge of heresy. Bishop Smith, whose character has been severely handled on account of this and other cruelties exercised in his diocese, has been ably defended by the learned Dr. Churton, of Brazen-Nose College. Indeed Fuller, in his Church History, seems inclined to believe that these cruelties were not perpetrated by the directions or with the knowledge of that prelate, being very inconsistent with his general character.
The famous Marquis of Wharton, and the more famous Duke, as Granger calls them, are said to have expended incredible sums of money on the house and gardens at Wooburn. The gardens, which were much admired, are said to have been a continuation of terraces, of which scarcely a vestige remains. When the house was pulled down, Mr. Bertie fitted up one of the wings, which has since been enlarged and improved: it is now occupied by the Countess of Orkney.
The manor of Wooburn-Deincourt belonged to the ancient family of Deincourt, from the time of the Norman Survey till the year 1422, when it passed by a female heir to the Lovells. Upon the attainder of Francis Lord Lovell it became vested in the crown, and in 1513 was granted, for a term of years, to Sir William Compton, who occasionally resided at Wooburn. In 1597 it was granted in fee to Robert Spencer and Robert Atkins; not long afterwards it came into the Goodwin family, by the marriage of Sir John Goodwin, with Anne daughter of Sir William Spencer: since which time the two manors have been united. The ancient seat of the Deincourts and Lovells was near the church.
The manor of Lude,. Or Lyde, in Wooburn (called in the Norman Survey Lede) has passed with Bishop's-Wooburn, and is now the property of Mr. Duprï¿½, who, in the inclosure act, is called also lord of the manor of "the Glory" in this parish.
The parish church is a spacious Gothic structure. The tower was built about the year 1480, as appears by the epitaph of John Goodwin, and Pernell his wife, who are called its founders. In the chancel are monuments of the families of Bertie and Wharton, among which is that of Philip Lord Wharton, who died in 1695.
The rectory, which was appropriated to the see of Lincoln about the year 1330, is now the property of Mr. Duprï¿½, who is patron of the vicarage. Philip Lord Wharton gave a rent charge of 22l. 10s. per annum to the vicar, for preaching an evening lecture on Sundays. The parish of Wooburn has been enclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1802, when allotments of land, in lieu of tithes, were assigned to the impropriator and to the vicar, and an allotment to the poor for fuel.
There is an annual fair at Wooburn, for which Lord Wharton obtained a charter in 1686, on All-Souls day, O.S., now November 14th. A fair on the translation of St. Edward the king, now discontinued, was granted by King Henry VI. to Alice Lovell, lady of the manor of Wooburn-Deincourt.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU909878 (Lat/Lon: 51.58174, -0.689502), Wooburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)