"ARDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wantage, in the county of Berks, 2 miles to the E. of Wantage. It is situated on the Roman way called lknield Street, and the Wilts and Berks canal. The Great Western railway passes near the village, and has a station at Wantage-road, about 2 miles to the N.E. The living is a vicarage" in the diocese of Oxford, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and is in the early English style, with square tower, surmounted by a spire. It contains the tomb of R. Vernon, Esq., the collector of the famous "Vernon Gallery" of pictures, which he bequeathed to the nation, on his death, in 1849. His death took place at Ardington House, formerly the residence of the Clarkes, to whom the manor belonged, but at present the seat of Captain Leicester Vernon, M.P."
"ARDINGTON WICK, a hamlet in the parish of Ardington in the county of Berks."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
Descriptions of some of the churches can be found at:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ardington to another place.
- Ardington was in the hundred of Wantage
You can see the administrative areas in which Ardington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU432882 (Lat/Lon: 51.591002, -1.377804), Ardington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Ardington was in the Wantage Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.