"AVINGTON, a parish and pleasant village in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle, in the county of Berks, 2 miles to the E. of Hungerford. It lies in the pleasant open valley of the river Kennet. The Hungerford branch of the Great Western railway, and the Kennet and Avon canal run through the the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £300, in the patronage of Sir R. Burdett, Bart. The church is an interesting example of the Norman style, and contains a circular font, the sides of which are adorned with niched figures rudely sculptured. The principal mansion is Barton Court, the seat of Admiral Dundas, M.P."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.