"BINFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Cookham, in the county of Berks, 4 miles to the N.E. of Wokingham, and 2 from Bracknell, its post town. It is situated in Windsor Forest. The Wokingham and Staines branch of the South-Western railway crosses the parish, and the Great Western railway passes near it. The village is scattered, but there are several very the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £628, including 15 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat structure, in the pointed style of the latter part of Edward III's reign; in 1848 a new north aisle was added, and the church entirely restored; in 1859 a further addition was made to the chancel. It contains monuments to Admiral Vernon and Mrs. Macaulay, the historian. There is a National school, partly supported by endowment. The parochial charities amount altogether to £82 per annum." (There is more of this description
"AMEN CORNER, a hamlet in the parish of Binfield in the county of Berks."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.