"BOXFORD, a parish in the hundred of Faircross, in the county of Berks, 4 miles to the N.W. of Newbury, its post town. It is situated on the river Lambourn, a branch of the Kennet, and contains the tything of Westbrook. the diocese of Oxford, of the annual value of £761, in the patronage of the Rev. Dr. Wells. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There are several charitable endowments of trifling value."
"WESTBROOK, a tything in the parish of Boxford, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Newbury, on the river Lambourne."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.