"BUCKLEBURY, a parish in the hundred of Reading, in the county of Berks, 7 miles to the N.E. of Newbury. Reading is its post town. It is situated on a small stream, a feeder of the Thames, into which it falls at Pangbourne. The parish contains the hamlets of Marlstone and Hawkridge. Bucklebury Common is an extensive tract of very elevated and pleasantly undulating ground, commanding fine prospects over the rich surrounding country. The view extends, in clear weather, to Windsor Castle. The village is seated in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £453, in the patronage of W. H. H. Hartley, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It is an ancient edifice in the Norman style, with a tower and spire, and contains an old font and a monument to Lady Frances Winchcombe. In the churchyard is a yew tree of immense size. There is a chapel belonging to the Independents, and a free school for boys and girls, founded and endowed by Winchcombe Hartley, which has an income of about £35 per annum. Bucklebury shares with Thatcham the benefits of Lady Winchcombe's endowed school at the latter place for educating and clothing 40 boys. There are some other charities of small amount. Bucklebury House, now the seat of the Hartleys, who hold the manor, was erected by John Winchcombe in the 16th century. He was the son of John Winchcombe, who became famous as Jack of Newbury in the reign of Henry VIII. The manor belonged to the Winchcombes, and passed from them by marriage, to the Hartleys."
"HAWKRIDGE, a tything in the parish of Bucklebury, county Berks, 6 miles N.E. of Newbury."
"MARLSTONE, a tything and chapelry in the parish of Bucklebury, hundred of Reading, county Berks, 4 miles N.E. of Newbury. The village is inconsiderable, and chiefly agricultural. The chapel-of-ease is an ancient edifice. The principal residence is Marlstone House."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Congregational Chapel: (Morton's Chapel)- For early history, see The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bucklebury to another place.
- Bucklebury was in the hundred of Reading
You can see the administrative areas in which Bucklebury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU552702 (Lat/Lon: 51.428126, -1.207412), Bucklebury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Bucklebury was in the Bradfield Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.