"CLEWER, a parish in the hundred of Ripplesmere, in the county of Berks, 1 mile from Windsor, its post town, and 6 from Maidenhead. It is situated on the S. bank of the Thames. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £460, in the patronage of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a substantial building in the Norman style of architecture, with spire. It contains a curious and beautiful font, and a monument to Field-Marshal the Earl of Harcourt. The charities produce £21 per annum. There is a chapel of ease, a Roman Catholic chapel, National schools, and a penitentiary, called the House of Mercy, founded in 1849, and recently enlarged. St. Leonard's, the seat of the Harcourt family, and St. Lconard's Hill, the seat of Sir T. Brinkman, Bart., are the chief residences. Arthur Vansittart, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"ST. LEONARD'S HILL, a seat in the parish of Clewer, in Windsor Forest, county Berks, near Sunninghill.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clewer to another place.
- Clewer was in the hundred of Ripplesmere
You can see the administrative areas in which Clewer has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU946755 (Lat/Lon: 51.470568, -0.639417), Clewer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Clewer was in the Windsor Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.