"COLD ASH is a parish, formed for ecclesiastical purposes 12 Sept. 1865, out of the civil parish of Thatcham and for civil purposes Sept 1894, and includes Ashmore Green, part of Long Lane, Henwick, and Shaw Fields: it occupies elevated ground about 2 miles west from Thatcham station on the Great Western railway, 4 west from Newbury and 15 south-west from Reading, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Reading, petty sessional division, union, county court district of Newbury, and in the rural deanery of Newbury, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxford. The church of St Mark, erected in 1864, is a structure of brick, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing two bells: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. W M Pickthall, a former vicar, and his daughter, erected by his widow and the parishioners: the reredos was erected in 1890 by the present vicar, to the memory of of his father, and the chancel screen in 1892 to the memory of his two sisters: in 1889 two memorial windows were placed to the late W P Padmore esq. by his widow: in 1894 the chancel was adorned with fine mural paintings as a memorial to Mr and Mrs Padmore, at the cost of their daughter: and in 1897 a new organ was erected at a cost of £200: there are 225 sittings. ...." From
Kelly's Directory of Berkshire (1915), transcribed by Robert Monk ©2011.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.