"COLESHILL, a parish in the hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 4 miles W. of Faringdon, its post town. It is situated on the river Cole, near the Great Western railway, which has a station at Faringdon-road, about 6 miles distant. Part of the parish extends into Wiltshire. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £311, in the patronage of the Earl of Radnor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a beautiful ancient edifice. It contains stained-glass windows, and a monument by Rysbrach. Here are schools for both sexes, supported by the Earl of Radnor and the rector, also a charity for the apprenticing of youths. Coleshill House, delightfully situated, is the seat of the Earl of Radnor, to whom it gives title of baron; it was built in 1650 by the celebrated Inigo Jones, and contains some good paintings."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.