"COMPTON BEAUCHAMP, a parish in the hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 6 miles S.W. of Farringdon, its post town, and 1 mile from the Farringdon Road station of the Great Western railway. It is pleasantly situated on the Port Way near the Great Western line. It anciently belonged to the Beauchamps, who had 43 lordships in this county. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £333, in the patronage of Earl Craven. The church, dedicated to St, Swithin, is an ancient structure in the Norman style of architecture. There is a school supported by voluntary contributions. In the neighbourhood are Uffington Castle, the White Horse, the Blowing Stone, and other antiquities. Earl Craven is lord of the manor."
"KNIGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Compton Beauchamp, county Berks, 7 miles W. of Wantage, and 5 S. of Faringdon. It is situated on the Wilts canal, and on the line of the ancient Port Way."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.