"COOKHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cookham, in the county of Berks, 3½ miles from Maidenhead. It is a station on the Wycombe branch of the Great Western line. The village is beautifully situated on the western side of the river Thames, and was anciently a market town. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £480, in the patronage of J. Rogers, Esq. The parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient Gothic structure, and was tastefully restored in 1860. It contains monuments to Sir Isaac Pocock, Knt.; Sir George Young, Bart., and others. Besides the parish church there is a district church at Cookham Dean, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £90, in the patronage of the vicar. In that part of Maidenhead which lies in this parish there is a church, being a sinecure incumbency, value. £172, in the gift of E. F. Maitland, Esq. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are parochial schools for both sexes; also almshouses for eight persons. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of paper and boots and shoes."
"TEMPLE HOUSE, a hamlet in the parishes of Bray and Cookham, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Maidenhead. It is situated on the Thames, and contains Temple Mills copper-works."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|Holy Trinity, Cookham, Church of England|
|St John the Baptist, Cookham Dean, Church of England|
|Cookham Dean, Independent|
|Cookham parish cemetery, Cookham, Cemetery|
|Methodist Chapel, Cookham Dean, Primitive Methodist|
|Methodist Chapel, Cookham, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Methodist Church & Wesley Hall, Cookham Rise, Wesleyan Methodist|
|St Elizabeth, Cookham Rise, Roman Catholic|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cookham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cookham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Historical Cookham from James Hatch
- Cookham manor and Cannon Court manor - medieval and early modern records c.1388-1645 are held by the BRO (D/EZ69). (see Vol 55, 2011 page 4 of the Berkshire Echo).
- Cookham was in the hundred of Cookham
- Stubbings is a parish created in1874 from parts of Bisham and Cookham Dean
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU885835 (Lat/Lon: 51.543468, -0.725211), Cookham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cookham was in the Cookham Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.