" CROWTHORNE, formerly a hamlet in the parish of Sandhurst, was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish July 10th, 1874 and was constituted a civil parish June 23rd, 1894; it is 4 miles south-east from Wokingham, 36 from London and 11 from Reading, the village being 1 mile from Wellington College station [now called Crowthorne station]
of the Reading and Reigate branch of the South Eastern railway; in the eastern division of the County, petty sessional division of Wokingham, hundred of Sonning, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxgord. The church of St John the Baptist, built and consecrated in 1873, is an edifice of red brick in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, and a bell cote; the chancel was added in 1888-9, at a cost of £2000; there are 400 sittings. The regisiter dates from the year 1873. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £187, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1894 by the Rev. George Frederick Coleridge MA of kebel College, Oxford. The vicarge house was built in 1877. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The principal landowners are the governors of Wellington College and (for Broadmoor) the directors of Convict Prisons. The population in 1891 was 2,254, including 629 in Broadmoor Asylum.
OWLSMOOR is a hamlet in this parish, 2 miles south-east, and has an iron church, with 80 sittings. The population in 1891 was 198."
From Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1899, transcribed by Robert Monk ©2011.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.