"CUMNOR, (or Cumner), a parish in the hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 5½ miles N.W. of Abingdon. It is situated on the river Thames, near the Great Western railway. The parish is of large extent and hilly. It is divided into ten tythings, and formerly belonged to the Abbots of Abingdon, whose lands can still be traced by the remains of the crosses which marked the boundaries. The village or town is built on the brow of a hill, commanding extensive views over the counties of Oxford and Gloucester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, in the patronage of the Earl of Abingdon. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, consists of nave, aisle, chancel, a chapel on the south side, and square tower; it contains a fine altar tomb to the memory of Anthony Forster, and an old chain bible. A new school-house was, built and opened in June, 1861, by Mr. Spencer, then vicar. The charities amount to £81 per annum. Cumnor Hall, the ancient seat of the Abbots of Abingdon, was the scene of the murder of Amy Robsart, Countess of Leicester, by Varney, at the instigation of her husband, the favourite of Queen Elizabeth. The Hall is now entirely demolished. The Earl of Abingdon is lord of the manor.
"BOTLEY, a tything and hamlet partly in the parish of Cumnor, partly in that of North Hinksey, hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 1 mile from Oxford, and 5 3/4 miles N.W. of Abingdon, on the western bank of the Thames."
"BRADLEY, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 4 miles to the S.W. of Oxford."
"CHAWLEY, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 2 miles S.W. of Oxford."
"CHILSWELL, a liberty in the parish of Cumnor, in the hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 3 miles W. of Oxford."
"HENWOOD, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 4 miles N. of Abingdon."
"HILL-END, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 4 miles N. of Abingdon, and 4 S.W. of Oxford."
"STROUD, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 3 miles S.W. of Oxford."
"SWINFORD, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Oxford, near the bridge over the river Thames."
"WHITLEY, a tything in the parish of Cumnor, county Berks, 7 miles N.W. of Abingdon, on the Thames."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003. Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|St Andrew, Dean Court, Church of England|
|St Mary, Farmoor, Church of England|
|St Michael , Cumnor, Church of England|
|URC (was Congregational Church), Cumnor, Congregational|
|Cumnor, Wesleyan Methodist|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Congregational Chapel: Founded c1845 in a shed, chapel built 1896, now URC. For early history, see The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cumnor to another place.
- Cumnor was in the hundred of Hormer
You can see the administrative areas in which Cumnor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP462042 (Lat/Lon: 51.734614, -1.332392), Cumnor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cumnor was in the Abingdon Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.