"DRAYTON, a parish in the hundred of Ock, in the county of Berks, 2 miles S.W. of Abingdon, its post town. The Berks and Wilts canal and the Great Western railway pass near it. A fire took place here in 1780, which destroyed upwards of thirty houses. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Abingdon, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small Gothic structure, with a square embattled tower. The charities amount to £37 per annum. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. Lewis Lloyd Esq., is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.