"BRACKNAL, (or Bracknell), a hamlet in the parish of Easthampstead, hundred of Ripplesmere, in the county of Berks, 4 miles from Wokingham. It is a station on the Richmond, Staines, and Reading branch of the London and South-Western railway. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warfield, in the diocese of Oxford, in the gift of the bishop. The church, an elegant stone structure in the pointed style, was erected in 1851. There is much fine scenery and many good residences in the neighbourhood. [Since 1851, a separate parish formed from parts of Warfield and Winkfield.]
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Church of England: Easthampstead Church - beautiful watercolour design for stained glass windows from the studio of Burne-Jones, c. 1876 is held by the BRO (D/P49)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Easthampstead to another place.
- Easthampstead was in the hundred of Ripplesmere
You can see the administrative areas in which Easthampstead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU863663 (Lat/Lon: 51.38919, -0.761121), Easthampstead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)