"EAST HENDRED, (or Great Hendred), a parish in the hundred of Wantage, county Berks, 3 miles to the S.E. of Wantage. It is situated near White Horse Vale, and was once a market town and seat of the cloth manufacture. It enjoyed several political privileges, and formed part of the demesnes of the abbeys of Sheen, Reading, and Abingdon. The Great Western railway has a station at Wantage Road, about 4 miles from the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £550, in the patronage of the bishop. The church of St. Augustine is a small structure with a square embattled tower. It contains the tomb of Archbishop Chichele, some time rector of this parish. The charities amount to about £100 per annum. Here the Roman Catholics have a chapel. In the neighbourhood are some remains of an ancient monastic chapel.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.