"EAST LOCKINGE, a parish in the hundred of Wantage, county Berks, 1 mile E. of Wantage, its post town, and 3 miles to the S.E. of Wantage Road railway station. It contains the tythings of Betterton and West Ginge. The village is considerable, but chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £480, annexed to the wardenship of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small structure, with a square embattled tower containing four bells. There is a National school. Lewis Lloyd, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum.
"BETTERTON, a tything in the parish of East Lockinge, hundred of Wantage, in the county of Berks, 2 miles to the S.E. of Wantage."
"WEST GINGE, a tything in the parish of East Lockinge, hundred of Wantage, county Berks.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.