"EAST SHEFFORD, (or Little), a parish in the hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county Berks, 5½ miles N.E. of Hungerford, its post town. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. A curious hall, built in the reign of Henry VIII., is now used as a barn. The river Lambourne flows through the parish, the soil is fertile, and the land is almost wholly arable. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £400. The church contains some monuments. This place is a meet for the Craven hounds.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.