"ENGLEFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Theale, county Berks, 6 miles W. of Reading, its post town. The river Kennet passes through the neighbourhood, and the Pangbourne station on the Great Western railway is about 1 mile S. of the village. This place was called Englafeld
by the Saxons, and an engagement took place here between them and the Danes, in which the latter were defeated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £450. The church is a very old edifice, and contains many monuments and tombs of the Englefield and other families. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. There is a National school. Englefield House is the residence of R. B. de Beauvoir, Esq., who is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.