"FRILSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 6 miles N.E. of Newbury, and 7 S.E. of East Ilsley, its post town. The nearest railway station is Newbury on the Great Western line. It is situated on a tributary of the Thames abounding with trout. The parish is of small extent, and the land chiefly arable. The soil is partly clay, and partly sand, alternated with chalk. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £131. The church is an old edifice dedicated to St. Frideswide. The parochial charities produce about £17 per annum. Robert Floyd, Esq., is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.