The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GREAT BARRINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, in the county of Gloucester, partly also in the hundred of Farringdon, in the county of Berks, 5 miles to the E. of Northleach. Burford is its post town. It is watered by the river Windrush, a feeder of the Thames, and contains a quarry of fine freestone, which was selected for building Blenheim, and for repairs of Westminster Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £221, in the gift of Lord Dynevor. The church, which is in the perpendicular style, with an embattled tower, is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains monuments of Lord Chancellor Talbot and Captain Bray. The parochial charities amount to £17. Barrington Park, a beautiful and wooded demesne, is the seat of Lord Dynevor. Barrington Grove is another pleasant seat.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Part of this parish was in Berkshire until transferred to Gloucestershire in 1844.