"GROVE is a civil parish, formed August 1832 out of that of Wantage
, half a mile from Wantage Road station on the Great Western railway, and about 1 1/2 north from Wantage, and a branch of the river Ock passes through: it is in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wantage, rural deanery of Wantage, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxford. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in Mar 12 1835. The church of St James the Great, formerly a small and plain building of stone, consisting of nave only, with a western turret containing one bell, was entirely rebuilt of brick and stone 1900-01: it consists of nave with aisle: there was in ancient time a chapel here, dedicated to to St John the Baptist, which existed up to the beginning of the 18th century: the church, lately removed, was built in 1832 through the exertions of of the late Dr Richard Lynch Cotton, provost of Worcester College, Oxford, 1839-81, when the former dedication was changed ..."
From Kelly's Directory of Berkshire (1915), transcribed by Robert Monk ©2011.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.