"BANTERWICK BARN, (or Banderwic), a farm in the parish of Hampstead Norris, hundred of Faircross, in the county of Berks, 4 miles from East Ilsley.
"HERMITAGE, a chapelry in the parish of Hampstead Norris, county Berks, 4 miles N.E. of Newbury."
"WELLHOUSE, a tything in the parish of Hampstead Norris, hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 3½ miles N. of Newbury."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hampstead Norris to another place.
- Hampstead Norris was in the hundred of Faircross
You can see the administrative areas in which Hampstead Norris has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU527763 (Lat/Lon: 51.483207, -1.242461), Hampstead Norris which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hampstead Norris was in the Wantage Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.