"LITTLE WITTENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Ock, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Wallingford. The village is situated on the Thames, near Sinodun Hill, which is surrounded by an ancient camp, where many Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains brasses, the earliest being that of a priest, 1433, and monuments to the Kidwelly and Dunche families. There are day and Sunday schools. G. H. Cherry, Esq., is lord of the manor.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.