"NEW WINDSOR, a parish, market town, municipal, and parliamentary borough, locally in Ripplesmere hundred, county Berks, 2 miles from Slough, 6 from Maidenhead, and 22 S.W. of London, with which it is connected by the Great Western and London and South-Western railways. It is situated on an acclivity above the right bank of the navigable river Thames, here crossed by an iron bridge 200 feet long and 29 feet wide, resting upon three piers of granite. The village of Old Windsor, about 2 miles S.E. of the present town of New Windsor, was a place of great antiquity, on the Roman way from Silchester, and is mentioned in early deeds as Windlesofra
, or Windlesora
, where the Saxon kings had a palace. The manor was given by Edward the Confessor to Westminster Abbey, but afterwards exchanged back by William the Norman, who built a hunting lodge at New Windsor, on the site of the present castle." (more ...
"DEDWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of New Windsor, hundred of Ripplesmere, in the county of Berks, 1½ mile W. of New Windsor."
"FROGMORE HOUSE, a demesne in the parish of New Windsor, hundred of Ripplesmere, county Berks, half a mile E. of Windsor. The mansion, which is situated near the Thames, was built by Wyatt, and has in its grounds an artificial ruin, hermitage, Gothic temple, &c. It was once occupied by Queen Charlotte, and was the favourite residence of the late Duchess of Kent. There is another seat of the same name in Hertfordshire, near Rickmansworth."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.