Hide

Newbury

hide
Hide

"NEWBURY, a parish, market town, and municipal borough, in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 56 miles from London by road, or 53 by the Great Western railway, and 16 from Reading. It is situated on the river Kennet, and the Kennet and Avon canal runs through the town. Newbury was founded on the ruins of the Roman city of Spinae, and was afterwards called Newbyrig, or Newtown, and, according to Camden, "Newburn must acknowledge Speen as its mother." The name of Speen is still preserved in the parish next to Newbury. William the Conqueror gave the town to Ernulph de Hesdin, from whom it descended to the Marshalls of Hampstead Marshall, the Bigods, &c., and so to the Craven family, who are still the owners. It returned members to the parliament of 30 Edward I., and sent three deputies to Edward III.'s councils of state." ( more...).

From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.

Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.

Hide
topup

Archives & Libraries

In addition to those listed on the Berkshire home page, see the Research Wiki from Family Search (the Church of Latter-day Saints (Genealogical Society of Utah))

topup

Church History

Further information about some of the churches can be found below:

  • Congregational Chapel:  URC church (Congregational until 1972)  from Berkshire FHS.   The Independent Chapel (Lower Meeting House) was erected c1686 (later moved to Cromwell Place?) and two congregations (Independents and Congregationalists) held separate services in the same building.  In 1697, they separated and the Presbyterians erected their own chapel (Upper Meeting House, aka Waterside Chapel (located SU4722767215?) and changed to Unitarian c1820, ceased to be used in 1940, demolished in1960s .  For early history, see also The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
  • Society of Friends: The original meeting house stood in Bartholomew St, but is now in Highfield Avenue, behind today's bus station. The burial ground is nearby.
topup

Church Records

  • Newbury St Nicolas parish records at the BRO
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Newbury which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Newbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Rate books and valuation lists for Newbury Borough, 1907-1962 (ref. N/FR) are held by the BRO
  • A census of Newbury taken on the eve of Waterloo in 1815 by Joseph Toomer, mayor of Newbury, is held by the BRO (D/EX 1718/7/3) (see Vol 24, 2003 page 2 of the Berkshire Echo), and is available on CD from Berkshire FHS.
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU465660 (Lat/Lon: 51.391142, -1.333089), Newbury which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

topup

Societies