"NORTH MORETON, a parish in the hundred of Moreton, and borough of Wallingford, county Berks, 4 miles W. of Wallingford. It is situated on the line of the Great Western railway. The village, which is small and irregularly built, is wholly agricultural. The land is chiefly arable, with some pasture and orchard. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £169, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Berks. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a curious early decorated water drain. In Stapleton's chantry chapel, founded in the middle of the 15th century, are several very old tombs with Saxon inscriptions. The charities produce about £2 per annum.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.