"OLD WINDSOR, a parish in the hundred of Ripplesmere, county Berks, also containing places in the county of Surrey, 2 miles S.E. of New Windsor, 2½ from Egham, and 2 from Datchet. It is situated on the river Thames, and includes the hamlet of Sunningdale and part of Virginia Water. The village, which has the union poor-house, may be considered a suburb of New Windsor [which see]. The principal seats are Beaumont, once the residence of Warren Hastings; Moat Farm, occupying the site of a hunting-seat of the Saxon kings, at which Earl Godwin is said to have died; Sunning Hall, and Corvath. Above two-thirds of the surface are comprehended in Windsor Great Park. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £250, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There are besides the district church of the Holy Trinity at Sunningdale, built in 1840, and the royal chapel, built by George IV. in the Great Park for the accommodation of the tenantry and keepers connected with the royal demesnes. The Independents have chapels at Old Windsor and Sunningdale. There are National and industrial schools, partly supported by bequests of Lady Onslow and Mrs. Harmesley. The Rev. G. Isherwood is lord of the manor. A pleasure fair is held annually.
"CUMBERLAND LODGE, a mansion in Windsor Park in the parish of Old Windsor, in the county of Berks, so named after the Duke of Cumberland, the victor at Culloden, to whose memory a pillar has been erected close by."
"SUNNINGDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Windsor, county Berks." [was made a separate civil parish in 1894]
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003. Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|Crimp Hill Cemetery, Old Windsor, Cemetery|
|Old Windsor Cemetery & Chapel, Old Windsor, Cemetery|
|Spital Cemetery, New Windsor, Cemetery|
|Methodist Chapel (was Old Windsor Gospel Hall), Old Windsor, Methodist|
|Primitive Methodist Church, Old Windsor, Primitive Methodist|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Royal Chapel of All Saints - erected in the grounds of the Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park 'by Her Majesty for residents of the Park' [Kelly's Directory 1869]
- Christ Church, United Reformed Church (was Congregational) - The origins of the present church go back to 1662. The Congregational Church in William St was built in 1832, and replaced by the present United Reformed Church in 1979. For early history, see The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Windsor to another place.
- Old Windsor was in the hundred of Ripplesmere
You can see the administrative areas in which Old Windsor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU982740 (Lat/Lon: 51.456472, -0.58802), Old Windsor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)