"PEASEMORE, a parish in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 4 miles S.W. of East Ilsley, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Newbury. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The surface is hilly, but the soil fertile, consisting generally of a rich loam. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £663 10s., and the glebe comprises 65 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £800. The church has a tower surmounted by a spire and containing five bells. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1842. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a free school. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. 0. Eyre, Esq., is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.