"REMENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Beynhurst, county Berks, 1½ mile N.E. of Henley, its post town and nearest station on the Great Western railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Thames, and is celebrated for the growth of lavender, the cultivation of which was introduced by the late General Lord Conway, who resided at Park Place, in the grounds of which is a Druids' temple brought from Jersey. The land is chiefly arable and pasture, with about 300 acres of woodland and plantations. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £494, and the glebe consists of 17 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £337, in the patronage of Jesus College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a tower containing two bells. It has a curious chancel of great antiquity. There are two schools, partly supported by subscription."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.