"RUSCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Sonning, county Berks, 6 miles N.E. of Reading, its post town, and 1 mile from the Twyford station on the Great Western railway. The parish, which is of small extent, is intersected by the Great Western railway, and is wholly agricultural. The appropriate tithes, belonging to the Dean of Salisbury, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £275. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £200, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, has an embattled tower containing two bells. The nave and tower were erected in 1687. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. The Independents have a place of worship."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.