Skip to main content
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SHILTON, a parish, partly in the hundred of Faringdon, county Berks, and partly in that of Bampton, county Oxford, 2½ miles S.E. of Burford. Bampton is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated in a valley watered by a rivulet. The inhabitants are wholly engaged in agriculture. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1794. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £112. The church is an ancient edifice, standing in the adjoining parish of Alvescott (in Oxfordshire). The parochial charities produce about £42 per annum, of which £8 goes towards the support of a school. John Gwynne, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
- Shilton is partly in the hundred of Faringdon (Berkshire) and partly in that of Bampton (Oxfordshire) until 1844, when it was moved entirely into Oxfordshire
- Shilton was in the Witney Union (Oxfordshire).