"BECKET, a tything in the parish and hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 5 miles to the S.W. of Farringdon. Becket House was the seat of Viscount Barrington."
"BOURTON, a tything in the parish and hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 7 miles to the S.W. of Farringdon, and 6 from Swindon. The Great Western railway passes by it, and the Wilts and Berks canal has several wharfs here. There is a chapel of ease, built by Archdeacon Berens; also a Baptist chapel, built and supported by the great silk manufacturers, Messrs. Baker and Tucker, who, in 1842, likewise presented to the inhabitants a neat Gothic structure for a school, which is well attended, and several almshouses."
"FERNHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Shrivenham, hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 2 miles S. of Farringdon. It is situated in the vicinity of White Horse Vale and the Great Western railway."
"LONGCOT, a township and chapelry in the parish and hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 4 miles S.W. of Faringdon, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Wantage. It is situated in White Horse Vale, close to the Wilts and Berks canal, and the Great Western railway passes through the neighbourhood. The tithes were commuted for land, and an annual money payment under an Inclosure Act in 1796. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, value £300, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, recently enlarged, and has an embattled tower. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are charity and parochial schools. Viscount Barrington is lord of the manor."
"WATCHFIELD, a township in the parish and hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 4½ miles S.W. from Great Farringdon, its post town, and 1 mile from Shrivenham. The village is situated on the Great Western railway, near the river Cole. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Shrivenham, in the diocese of Oxford. The church was taken down in 1770. There is a charity school for both sexes."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003. Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|Zion Independent Chapel, Fernham, Congregational|
|Methodist Chapel, Longcot, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Methodist Church, Shrivenham, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Watchfield, Primitive Methodist|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Congregational: Fernham Chapel: Founded 1830. Closed? For early history, see The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shrivenham to another place.
- Shrivenham was in the hundred of Shrivenham
You can see the administrative areas in which Shrivenham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU237888 (Lat/Lon: 51.59755, -1.659238), Shrivenham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Shrivenham was in the Faringdon Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.