"SOUTH MORETON, a parish in the hundred of Moreton and borough of Wallingford, county Berks, 3 miles S.W. of Wallingford. The Great Western railway intersects the parish, which is watered by a small stream falling into the Thames at Wallingford. The surface is generally level and the land principally arable. The village is small and chiefly agricultural, except a few persons engaged in the paper mill. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1818. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £199, in the patronage of Magdalen Hall, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient structure.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.