"SPENCERS WOOD was formed into an ecclesiastical parish by Order in Council Dec 17th 1913, from portions of the civil parishes of Shinfield, Swallowfield and Grazeley: it is 4 1/2 miles south by west from Reading, in Wokingham union, petty sessional division and county court district of Reading, rural deanery of Reading, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxford. The church of St Michael and All Angels, erected in 1908, is a building of red brick with stone dressings: the east window is stained: an organ was provided in 1910: there are 274 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £153, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Frederick Temple Lewarne BA of Selwyn College, Cambridge. There is a Congregational Chapel, erected in 1885, with 250 sittings. Three Mile Cross is a hamlet 3/4 mile north. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel."
From Kelly's Directory of Berkshire
(1915), transcribed by Robert Monk ©2011.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.