Stanford in the Vale
"GOOSEY, a chapelry in the parish of Stanford-in-the-Vale, hundred of Ock, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Wantage. Faringdon is its post town. It is situated on the river Ock, and the Great Western railway passes in the vicinity. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Stanford-in-the-Vale, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|United Reform Church, Stanford in the Vale, Congregational|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Congregational Chapel: URC: Founded 1831. For early history, see The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanford in the Vale to another place.
- Stanford in the Vale was in the the hundreds of Ock and Ganfield
You can see the administrative areas in which Stanford in the Vale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- School managers' minutes 1872-1954 are held by the BRO (D/P118)
- Stanford-in-the-Vale : a Parish Record (in several parts) by Violet Mary Howse, 1962, available from Reading Central Library
- A Berkshire village [Stanford-in-the-Vale] its History and Antiquities by Lewin George Maine, 1866, free from Google Books
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU344934 (Lat/Lon: 51.638359, -1.504317), Stanford in the Vale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Stanford in the Vale was in the Faringdon Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.