"STANFORD IN THE VALE, a parish in the hundreds of Ock and Ganfield, county Berks, 4 miles S.E. of Faringdon, its post town, and 2 from the Faringdon-road station, on the Great Western railway. The village is situated in the vale of White Horse, on the river Ock, and is chiefly agricultural. Stanford includes the tything of Goosey-Green, and was formerly a market town. Stone of inferior quality is quarried, and is chiefly used in repairing the roads. The living is a vicarage,* with the curacy of Goosey annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £337, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, dedicated to St. Dennis, was erected about 1280. It was partially restored in 1851. The parochial charities produce about £48 per annum, of which £7 go to a school. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents have a chapel. Pryse Pryse Loveden, Esq., M.P., of Buscot Park, is lord of the manor."
"GOOSEY, a chapelry in the parish of Stanford-in-the-Vale, hundred of Ock, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Wantage. Faringdon is its post town. It is situated on the river Ock, and the Great Western railway passes in the vicinity. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Stanford-in-the-Vale, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.