"STREATLEY, in the hundred of Moreton, lies by the Thames side, about six miles south of Wallingford, on the road to Reading. It is supposed to have taken its name from being situated on the ancient Ichnield-Street, or Ickleton-Way, as it is here called, which crosses the Thames from this place to Goring, in Oxfordshire... The Bishop of Salisbury is patron of the vicarage, which is in the deanery of Wallingford. The great tithes, formerly appropriated to the priory of Hurley, are now annexed to the see of Salisbury. Southbridge and Westbridge are in this parish."
From Lyson's Magna Britannia - Berkshire
"STREATLEY, a parish in the hundred of Moreton, county Berks, 10 miles N.W. of Reading, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Wallingford. The village is on the river Thames, near the Great Western railway and the ancient Icknield Street. The soil consists of chalk and loam. The river flows here in two streams, and is crossed by a double bridge to the village of Goring, in Oxfordshire, at which place is a station on the Great Western railway. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £250, in the. patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary or St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum. There are endowed and parochial schools. J. S. Bowles, Esq., is lord of the manor. Here was formerly a Dominican convent."
"WESTEREDGE, (or Westridge), a hamlet in the parish of Streatley, county Berks, 4 miles S.E. of East Ilsley, and 6 S. of Wallingford, on the river Thames.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.