"STUBBINGS is an ecclesiastical parish formed Aug 29 1856 from the parishes of Bisham
, and is 3 miles west of Maidenhead and 4 from Great Marlow, in the Eastern Division of the county, Cookham hundred and union, Maidenhead petty sessional division, Windsor county court district, rural deanery of Maidenhead, archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Oxford. The church of the James the Less, built at the expense of the late Henry Skrine esq. of Stubbings, and consecrated in 1850, is an edifice of cut flints with stone dressings in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, added in 1854 and south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are seven stained windows presented by members of the Skrine family, one by Colonel Dyson Laurie and a circular stained window in the west gable was given by the contractors, Messrs Silver and Son, of Maidenhead: there are 180 sittings...."
From Kelly's Directory of Berkshire
(1915), transcribed by Robert Monk ©2012.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.