"SULHAM, a parish in the hundred of Theale, county Berks, 5½ miles N.W. of Reading, its post town, and 2 from Pangbourne railway station. The village is situated on a narrow slip of land extending from the bank of the river Thames to the Kennet. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £159. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has been recently rebuilt. The windows are all of stained glass. There are several marble slabs of the Wilder family. The churchyard is planted with shrubs and evergreens. There is a charity school for both sexes. The principal residence is Sulham House. F. Wilder, Esq., is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.