"SUNNINGWELL, a parish in the hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 3 miles N. of Abingdon, its post town. The village is situated near the Thames. The parish includes the townships of Bayworth and Kennington. The soil consists of clay, sand, and limestone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £318. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has monuments to Bishop Jewell and others. There is also a district church at Kennington. The parochial charities produce about £56 per annum, of which £38 go to Schutz school. Sir George Bowyer, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"BAYWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of Sunningwell, hundred of Horner, in the county of Berks, 3 miles from Abingdon. There are remains of a small church."
"KENNINGTON, a township and chapelry partly in the parish of Sunningwell, and partly in that of Radley, hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 2 miles S. of Oxford, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Abingdon. It is situated on the river Isis, and near the line of the Great Western railway. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1802. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Sunningwell, in the diocese of Oxford. The chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Swithin, fell down at the beginning of the present century, and was rebuilt in 1838."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.