From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
|St Catherine of Siena, Tilehurst, Church of England|
|St George, Tilehurst, Church of England|
|St Mary Magdalene, Tilehurst, Church of England|
|St Michael , Tilehurst, Church of England|
|St. Birinus, Tilehurst, Church of England|
|URC (was Congregational Church), Tilehurst, United Reform Church|
|Kentwood Methodist, Tilehurst, Methodist|
|Methodist Chapel, Tilehurst, Methodist|
|West Reading Methodist, Tilehurst, Primitive Methodist|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Roman Catholic:
- Congregational Chapel: URC, Armour Rd. For early history (and picture), see The History of the Congregational Churches in the Berks, etc
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tilehurst to another place.
- Tilehurst was in the hundred of Reading
You can see the administrative areas in which Tilehurst has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU669733 (Lat/Lon: 51.454737, -1.038562), Tilehurst which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Tilehurst was in the Bradfield Union. For more information, see Poorhouses. The Tilehurst Workhouse which was in existence in 1767 was closed and sold about 1843.