"TILEHURST, a parish in the hundred of Reading, county Berks, 3 miles W. of Reading, its post town. The village is situated between the rivers Thames and Kennet. It formerly included the hamlet of Theale, which has been constituted a separate parish by Act of Parliament. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure with a tower and seven bells. The interior contains a monument of Sir Peter Vanlore, who died in 1627, and some ancient brasses. The parochial charities produce about £37 per annum, besides almshouses for six widows of sixty years and upwards, belonging to the parishes of Burghfield and Tilehurst. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents have a chapel. Calcot House is the principal residence. Colonel Blagrave is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.