"UFFINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 5 miles S.E. of Great Farringdon, its post town, and 7 from Wantage. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated at the foot of White Horse Hill, on the Wilts and Berks canal. Baulking and Wolstone, formerly hamlets, are now separated from Uffington, and form distinct and independent parishes. At the steepest part of White Horse Hill, near the summit, is cut the rude figure of a white horse, 314 feet in length, and galloping. It has been supposed to commemorate a victory gained by Alfred over the Danes. On the summit of the hill is a British encampment, called Uffington Castle, surrounded by a double vallum, the inner one very high, and measuring 700 feet from E. to W., by 500 broad. To the westward of the encampment is a tumulus, called Wayland Smith's Cave. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £340. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very fine specimen of Early English architecture, with an octagon tower, which took the place of the spire, destroyed by lightning in 1750. There is also a district church at Baulking-cum-Wolstone, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £78. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum, belonging to Saunders's school. There is a girls' National school, supported by voluntary contributions. The Baptists have a chapel. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor, and takes from this place the title of viscount."
"BAULKING, (or Balking), a chapelry in the parish of Uffington and hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 3 miles to the S. of Farringdon. The Great Western railway passes near it. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Uffington, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Baulking was at one time a market town.
"WOLSTONE, a chapelry in the parish of Uffington, county Berks, 5 miles S.E. of Great Farringdon."
"WOOLSTONE, a chapelry and township in the parish of Uffington, hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 5 miles S.E. of Faringdon. The village is situated on the brow of the White Horse hill, near the Wilts and Berks canal, and the line of the ancient Port Way. The living is a curacy united with Baulking. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.