From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Catholic Register of Ufton Court, Berkshire, and Woolhampton (1889) by Frederick Arthur Crisp, full text free from Internet Archive
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ufton to another place.
- Ufton was in the hundred of Theale
You can see the administrative areas in which Ufton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Present Ufton Court
- The History of Ufton Court, of the Parish of Ufton, in the County of Berks., and of the Perkins Family by Mary Sharp, first published in 1892, full text available free from the Open Library.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU625682 (Lat/Lon: 51.409388, -1.102777), Ufton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Ufton was in the Bradfield Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.